How to Check Your CRB Status or Credit Rating
To check your CRB status or credit rating, you need to obtain your credit report from one of the authorized CRBs in Kenya. The Central Bank of Kenya (CBK) licenses and regulates CRBs in the country, and as of now, there are three authorized CRBs, namely:
iii. TransUnion CRB
To obtain your credit report, you can use any of the following methods:
You can visit the website of any of the authorized CRBs and request your credit report online. You will need to provide your personal information, including your full name, ID number, and date of birth, mobile number, e-mail address among other details. You will also need to create an account with the CRB and verify your identity.
You can also request your credit report via SMS. To do this, send your full name, ID number, and date of birth to the shortcode provided by the CRB. You will receive a confirmation message with a reference number, which you can use to collect your credit report from any of the authorized CRBs.
Visit a CRB Office
Alternatively, you can visit the offices of any of the authorized CRBs and request your credit report in person. You will need to provide your personal information and a copy of your ID or passport.
Once you have obtained your credit report, you can check your credit rating and review your credit history.
How To Get Your CRB Clearance Certificate
Before you begin applying for CRB clearance certificate, you need to have the following details:
- Mobile number
- Email Address
- Scanned National ID in JPEG format
- Residence location details, and the
- Reason for CRB certificate application
Procedure for CRB Certificate Application
Remember you can apply for CRB clearance using any of the following methods:
i. Creditinfo Kenya
• Visit Creditinfo Kenya official website at https://ke.creditinfo.com/
• Click on Clearance certificate.
• Choose Personal clearance certificate.
• Complete the application form provided by entering correct information, pay the amount of kshs. 2,200 via their pay bill number and submit for review.
• Wait for at least 24 hours to get the certificate at your e-mail address.
• If you have any outstanding loans you will need to clear them in order to get a CRB clearance certificate otherwise you will be provided certificate indicating not cleared.
ii. Metropol Corporation
• Dial *433# on your mobile phone.
• Enter your National ID Number.
• Enter an agent number if you were referred by a Metropol agent else enter zero (0) to proceed.
• Confirm your details to complete the registration process.
• Pay Kshs. 100 as registration fee through the Paybill number 220388 and use your National ID number as the account number.
• You will receive an SMS with Crystobol PIN.
• Visit the Metropol official website.
• Enter PIN provided.
• Select ‘Clearance Certificate.
• Pay Kshs. 2,200 for the certificate through their Paybill number 220388.
• Follow the instructions provided to download your clearance certificate.
iii. TransUnion Africa
• Download the TransUnion Nipashe app.
• Register by paying a one-off payment of Kshs. 50 to PayBill number 212121 and use your National ID as an account number.
• Pay Kshs. 2,200, then e-mail the transaction details to email@example.com and you will be emailed back the clearance certificate within 24 hours.
The CRB Clearance Certificate is a document that provides proof that any debts that you previously owed to third parties have been paid in full.
It provides a source of assurance for any potential employers or financial partners, who can be reassured that you are indeed worthy of their trust.